Collapsing individual cell outputs until cell is re-run

I’d like to be able to “clear” all the outputs of a notebook, and only regenerate the output one cell at a time, as I tell that cell to run. This is necessary when teaching, to reveal the outputs as we talk about each one. At the moment, there only seems to be the option to collapse (hide) or show all outputs, but not do it for individual cells. Also, when all output is collapsed, re-running a cell does not show its output, it remains hidden (until you un-collapse all cells). Am I missing something? This is really easy to do in a normal Jupyter notebook running on my machine. Does anyone have a workaround I can use? Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the feature request, we’ll add a “clear outputs” action soon. Will reach you here once it’s implemented.

At the moment the easiest way to get a notebook with cleared outputs is to create a copy of the notebook since copying doesn’t preserve outputs.

1 Like

Doh, I knew there’d be a simple workaround! Thanks. But yes, if in the future there could be a “clear outputs” option, that would be fantastic.

Hi Andrew,

We’ve added the clear output(s) actions, they are available in the “Run” section of the header menu and in the “more actions” section of the block menu. Thank you again for the suggestion!